Sunday, June 28, 2009

The beauty of God's creation



My enthusiasm for flowers this season is beyond comprehension, who knows if it's a sign of aging??!! (lol) But I just can't help slowing myself down whenever I encounter them around my neighborhood.


Look what I've just discovered today, a week from the snaps taken on Father's Day:-

This picture was taken on June 21



Same cluster of flowers shot on June 28


Notice the difference they have grown in colors? I have fallen in love with these bunches of flowers (and would recommend anyone for a wedding bouquet) which also carry an extraordinary name - Hydrangea. And as I was doing some research on why its color can be varied in one plant, this is something interesting I found - Hydrangea has a little more than hundred species of which most of them are white, though some can be blue, red, pink or purple. The reason why their color is different actually depends on the acidity and alkalinity of the soil(sounds interesting?). Acidic soils produce blue flowers, neutral soils produce pale cream petals, and alkaline soils result in pink or purple!

Grow a hydrangea in front of your garden and you could tell the pH of your soil, that's really amazing.

3 comments:

HI said...

Oh yes, I love Hydrangea. I have to scope around my garden to see when I can plant them.

Btw, your studio photos look awesome!! I can't believe you guys have been married 15 years....both of you look so young. :)

Susan and Richard said...

Thanks, HI. Can't tell if we look young, but definitely young at heart. We are both crazy fan of Disney.

When you have the chance to plant hydrangea, do post photos of them on your blog okay?

Agnes CF Lee said...

don't think we can plant the Hydrangea here in KK so no chance to test the PH of our soil...:)))