English is so diversely spoken in different part of the world. That's why we have Manglish, Singlish, Spanglish and so on. Though I have been in the Big Apple (New York) for a decade now, there are still new things to learn everyday.
All I could tell is the Americans love abbreviation, that is to make a phrase shorter by only using the first letter of the words. In Malaysia, we call an air conditioner an 'air cond.' here they call it 'a.c.' But AC can mean something else if it is used at a different context. Like a travel agent will refer AC to Atlantic City. People here like to use short-form like XOXO(hugs & kisses), 10-4(ok), TGIF(Thank God it's Friday), ddg(drop dead gorgeous), bf(you might think it refers to Boy Friend, but it could also mean Bisexual Female!)... among many others.
Last weekend I went to Payless to check out their summer shoes, the cashier greeted me with "We have BOGO 50% off today." Too afraid to miss a deal, I was dumb enough to ask the question(wondering if BOGO is a new product like crocs or sandals of some sort), "What is a BOGO? Where could I find it?" Then explained the lady in patience,"Oh we are having Buy One Get One at 50% off, so if you buy a pair at bla bla bla" Okay... Now I know, BOGO is Buy One Get One! I was embarassed enough to dethrone myself as a shopping queen, how could I not know what is a BOGO??? lol(laughing out loud).
All I could tell is the Americans love abbreviation, that is to make a phrase shorter by only using the first letter of the words. In Malaysia, we call an air conditioner an 'air cond.' here they call it 'a.c.' But AC can mean something else if it is used at a different context. Like a travel agent will refer AC to Atlantic City. People here like to use short-form like XOXO(hugs & kisses), 10-4(ok), TGIF(Thank God it's Friday), ddg(drop dead gorgeous), bf(you might think it refers to Boy Friend, but it could also mean Bisexual Female!)... among many others.
Last weekend I went to Payless to check out their summer shoes, the cashier greeted me with "We have BOGO 50% off today." Too afraid to miss a deal, I was dumb enough to ask the question(wondering if BOGO is a new product like crocs or sandals of some sort), "What is a BOGO? Where could I find it?" Then explained the lady in patience,"Oh we are having Buy One Get One at 50% off, so if you buy a pair at bla bla bla" Okay... Now I know, BOGO is Buy One Get One! I was embarassed enough to dethrone myself as a shopping queen, how could I not know what is a BOGO??? lol(laughing out loud).
2 comments:
very nice photos taken. Congrats on your 15th anniversary. You and Richard look forever young la..
You can't see my fine wrinkles!!
Post a Comment