Thursday, June 11, 2009

An encounter with the Malaysian Consulate in New York

We went to the Malaysian Consulate in New York today for some business to be taken care of. My last visit to the Consulate office was probably 7~8 years ago, so Richard has to accompany me there just in case I will get lost. Its New York office is located at 43rd Street, between 1st & 2nd Avenue.

My (first) impression on the office this time was actually quite pleasant (forgot how it was last time). The best part was the short queue, I was the third in line. Secondly the service of the counter staff, was surprisingly polite. Probably I've heard too much about the bad experience of many about their visits, I was a bit paranoid.

Their office is clean and tidy, very presentable, only one thing to complain - still displaying Badawi's portrait and addressing him as the Prime Minister of Malaysia. When I asked them why Najib's photo is not replaced, they said "belum sampai lagi." Yeah right, since April. But still feeling good to see someone wearing 'tudung' (the traditional veil worn by Muslim women).

Efficiency is as expected, SLOW. Need 2 days to come back for my documents attestation. I ended taking TWO days off just to get my fellow Malaysians to attest for me, UNBELIEVABLE!!!
** Footnote : When I finally got back to the Consulate days later, I bumped into a surprise of my life - a secondary (highschool) schoolmate of mine whom we haven't met for 20 years was there to renew her passport!!! She doesn't even live in New York and yet we could meet each other in this place, this day, this hour... It was amazing and I am utterly speechless.

2 comments:

agnes said...

don't expect too much on the efficiency. Malaysia boleh..hmmmm..??

hope you have gotten your business done by now!

Susan and Richard said...

You bet. 2 days from Thursday means I have to come back on Monday!! Some more need to call them to make sure the documents are ready for pick-up. A true Malaysian pace of getting things done.